The Alhambra (Red Castle) (in Arabic الحمراء = Al Ħamrā’)) is an ancient mosque, palace and fortress complex of the Moorish monarchs of Granada, in southern Spain (known as Al-Andalus when the fortress was constructed), occupying a hilly terrace on the south-eastern border of the city of Granada. It was the residence of the Muslim kings of Granada and their court, but is currently a museum exhibiting exquisite Islamic architecture [...] The palace was built chiefly between 1248 and 1354, in the reigns of Al Ahmar and his successors;
In this place, seven centuries ago Jews used to live in peace with Muslims. There was tolerance and mutual acceptance. But in 1492, Granada was taken over by Catholic monarchs Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon, and they immediatly issued a decree ordering the expulsion of all Jews from Spain and its territories and possessions by July 31. At that time Torquemada was leading the Inquisition, burning Jewish and Arabic books.